How to create a link that will autofill someone’s Twitter status

UPDATE: As of June 1, 2011, this method is no longer supported by Twitter. Thanks to Asif Khan for posting in the comments. I recommend you use Twitter’s official Tweet Button instead. Details on using the Twitter share link to come.

I saw this nice technique the other day that enables someone just click a link to Tweet a message about you that pre-fills the message. It’s a hyperlink that opens up Twitter.com and auto-fills the status message box with a message of your choosing. It works whether or not the person is already logged into Twitter.

Try it now and give me a little Twitter love http://tr.im/linktweet

The format is

<a href=”http://twitter.com/home?status=Put your message here and include your username ala @johnmccrory”>Tweet this</a>

or in just URL form

http://twitter.com/home?status=Put your message here and include your username ala @johnmcccrory

If you use %20 in place of spaces in that message part of that URL (the words after status=), you can shorten it with most URL shorteners and put it in a tweet, too:

All the person needs to do is click your link and then hit the update button in Twitter. Couldn’t be simpler!

UPDATE 11/23/2009: Tweetmeme offers a Retweet button plugin for WordPress that does this in an elegant manner for WordPress blogs.

4 Tweets

23 Responses to How to create a link that will autofill someone’s Twitter status
  1. Michael MindesNo Gravatar
    August 15, 2009 | 6:39 pm

I have this automated in my code, and when I was re-checking it… I found that it is not working.

For example, you can find it at the bottom of my post about giving away free board games.

Please advise.

2. PetrNo Gravatar
    November 18, 2009 | 3:38 pm

Hi friends,
    my problem is – how to write the way of clicking and autowriting the text into “What are you doing?”
    I understand the code, I don´t know, how to connect the http of an article from adress line.
    Petr
    BTW: I mean the twitter link under articles, of course. :-)

• John McCroryNo Gravatar
      November 18, 2009 | 7:37 pm

Petr,

I don’t understand your question, exactly. If you mean you want to include the URL in this auto-tweet, then you’ll have to create a shortened URL with bit.ly or another service first, then you will be able to include that in your link. I’m guessing that the original URL of the article may be too long.

John

3. PetrNo Gravatar
    November 23, 2009 | 3:14 pm

Thanks, that´s right.
    1)I mean auto-tweet, really. I know, how to give into the tweet line a static message, but I don´t know, how to auto-tweet the dynamic one, for examle the name of articles from my website.
    2) Yes, the URL is too long, I see. I´d be happy for the resolving of the first problem.
    Thank you, Petr.

• John McCroryNo Gravatar
      November 23, 2009 | 3:45 pm

Perhaps the Tweetmeme retweet button (see note added to this post today) will help.

4. PetrNo Gravatar
    November 24, 2009 | 5:06 am

Thanks, but it isn´t that one, what I mean. My idea is: the link into Twitter is into the line, where the the name of an article is auto-written.
    The same one as your share by Twitter.

5. MorganNo Gravatar
    December 3, 2009 | 10:05 am

@John McCrory – to get around hashtags (#) messing it up, use %20%23 for a space and hashtag.

• VladDuleaNo Gravatar
      February 10, 2010 | 1:08 am

thanks.. very usefull… i looked around for a solution for placing a hashtag in link to status

• VladDuleaNo Gravatar
      February 10, 2010 | 1:51 am

and you can use %2B for plus
      usefull when you want to send links with spaces

• VladDuleaNo Gravatar
      February 10, 2010 | 1:54 am

actually is not working with %2B for plus… do you happen to know how to fix this?

6. @VideoMinutesNo Gravatar
    March 18, 2010 | 8:07 pm

This is helpful, thanks!

7. ErikNo Gravatar
    May 25, 2010 | 4:37 pm

Anyone notice that Twitter doesn't remember the message anymore when you have to login first? Anyone know how to get Twitter to remember it again?

• @PlanetEmersonNo Gravatar
      May 27, 2010 | 8:59 pm

I encountered the same issure. Anyone know a work around for this so the status doesn’t get forgotten after the login? Is there maybe an html command that could be inserted before the status that would specifically call up the login page

• John McCroryNo Gravatar
      May 27, 2010 | 9:05 pm

Thanks for flagging this issue, Erik. I’ll look into it and see if there’s a fix.

8. KevinNo Gravatar
    May 27, 2010 | 6:39 pm

Yes, I also noticed this. It was just working the other day. Seems to be something that breaks here and there though. I’ll keep searching for a fix and post it here if I find it…

9. Asif KhanNo Gravatar
    June 1, 2011 | 2:02 am

This method is not working any more..

• DaveNo Gravatar
      June 1, 2011 | 8:49 pm

You will need to use this new code http://www.twitter.com/?status=

The only difference is you will need to delete home from the old code.

10. John McCroryNo Gravatar
    April 16, 2013 | 9:58 am

To embed your twitter timeline, see this Twitter help article:

11. John McCroryNo Gravatar
    October 6, 2011 | 2:31 pm

You don’t need to do anything to make it clickable except be sure to include the leading http:// — the interface users see should recognize it as a URL and make it clickable for you.

Additional comments powered by BackType